Adavale Shire was the forerunner of Quilpie Shire. It was named after the town of Adavale in south-west Queensland, 170 km west of Charleville.
The Adavale township was situated in pastoral country mostly comprised of large grazing properties. The shire offices were described as a commodious building in The Australian Handbook (1904) and there were four hotels, a courthouse, four tradespeople's premises and a twice-weekly coach service from Charleville.
In 1917 the rail line was extended from Charleville to Quilpie, making that town a railhead for regional livestock movements. Adavale township subsequently declined, and in 1930 the shire's administrative centre was moved to Quilpie and the name changed accordingly.
Adavale Shire's census populations were:
Later figures are found under the entry for Quilpie.
Quilpie Jubilee 1917-1967, Quilpie, Quilpie Shire Council, 1967
Quilpie and Quilpie Shire and Charleville entries