Alexandra Headland is a township and resort between Maroochydore and Mooloolaba, 90 km north of Brisbane. The area was named by a local subdivider in 1916, after Queen Alexandra, widow of the British King Edward VII.
'Alex's' resort facilities date from the 1920s when families from Woombye and Palmwoods journeyed seaward and built seaside cottages. Keen swimmers formed the Alexandra Headland surf life-saving club in 1924. The Alexandra Hostel (on 36 acres with sports areas and horse riding) was erected on a knoll. It later became a Presbyterian youth camp, with a sandstone church and manse erected in 1955. The buildings and part of the land were later sold off and subdivided for land sales, although a bushland reserve remains. Through the postwar decades Alexandra Headland emerged from being overshadowed by Maroochydore to an identifiable resort destination, no longer a day-trip beach with a surf club.
Alexandra Headland advanced its real estate profile in the 1990s, with the development of the Mirage resort, the Alexandra Beach resort and the Seaforth apartments and retail development. Median house prices soared by 94% between 2002 and 2004.
The former Presbyterian site continues as a conference centre, the Harvest Christian Centre is further west and the Alex Beach Top Tourist Park caters for vacationers of modest means. The surf life-saving club (1924) has an active membership and there is a foreshore reserve for walking and recreation.
Alexandra Headland's census population's have been:
Between 1954 and 2006 it was part of Mooloolaba for census purposes.