Alexandra Hills is a suburb in Redland City, 20 km east of central Brisbane. The name was proposed by developers Aspley Homes Pty Ltd, possibly inspired by Princess Alexandra, who toured Queensland during State centenary celebrations of 1959.
Situated away from Moreton Bay beaches and the Cleveland railway line, it was one of the later postwar urban areas in Redland when it was a shire. Development of the suburb was spurred by the completion of Finucane Road and began with the Vienna Woods estate (between the Judy Holt reserve and Finucane Road), to the east of the primary school. By 1966 future residential development south of Finucane Road had been mapped out, and by 1969 connections to the town water supply were being made. Despite the late start, by 1976 'Alex Hills' was the fastest growing region in the shire, housing some 5000 people by 1980.
As the population grew, services followed. The Alexandra Hills drive-in shopping centre - the shire's first - was opened in November 1979 by American comedienne Phyllis Diller. By the mid-1980s there were two state primary schools (1975, 1985), a Catholic primary school (1980) and a state high school (1987). A large, modish 'colonial style' hotel to the east along Finucane Road was opened in 1988. A third State primary school was opened in the south of Alexandra Hills in 1991.
In addition to the facilities mentioned, Alexandra Hills has a TAFE, several linear parks along water courses and conservation parks for squirrel and Greater Gliders. The presence of three State primary schools is an indication of the large size of the suburb, which includes space for a sewerage treatment site on its eastern boundary. Alexandra Hills census populations have been: