Carseldine, a residential suburb, is 13 km north of central Brisbane. It was named after the Carseldine family who settled in Bald Hills in 1858. Until Carseldine emerged as a suburb in the early 1970s, it was the south part of Bald Hills with part of Aspley protruding into it across Cabbage Tree Creek in the south. The present Aspley football club oval and bowling club green in Graham Road were formerly a showground and memorial park.
The North Brisbane College of Advanced Education, a short walk from the Carseldine railway station, was opened in 1977. It was positioned to take students from the earlier southern postwar suburbs (Chermside and Aspley) and from Bald Hills and Petrie. It later became a campus of the Queensland Institute of Technology. Pre-dating the college and nearly all the housing was the Holy Spirit Home, originally set among open acres at the corner of Gympie Road and Beams Road.
Carseldine has a small shopping centre near the railway station. Across Cabbage Tree Creek there are Aspley Homemaker City and the Hypermarket, and further down Gympie Road Westfield Chermside. Schools are also outside Carseldine: State and Catholic primaries to the east in Taigum, Aspley High, Bald Hills Primary and an Anglican college in Bald Hills.
Carseldine has been a slowly developing suburb with a part in the north not built up (2008). Its census populations have been: