Booie

Booie is a rural area 12 km north-east of Kingaroy. It was named after a pastoral station and is it thought that the name derived from an Aboriginal word describing a snake.

Selectors took up farms in the partly-cleared hills of Booie in the early 1880s, and the Booie Progress Association secured the opening of a provisional school in 1892. The post office directory in 1902 recorded 42 selectors at Booie and the youthful Miss McNichol at the one-teacher school. She married and settled there, and was buried in the Booie cemetery.

Further Reading: 

Tony Matthews, Landscapes of change: a history of the South Burnett, South Burnett Local Government Association, 1997

Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo