Dicky Beach is a coastal suburb 2.5 km north of Caloundra's town centre. It was named after the SS Dicky grounded near the beach in 1893 to avoid damage from the local headlands during a severe storm.
Dicky Beach was separated from Caloundra by the Tooway Creek until a bridge was built in 1937. The year before Dicky Beach came under vice-regal notice when the Governor of Queensland built a holiday residence, Currimundi House, in Wilson Avenue, just north of the creek. Farlow and Henzell, Caloundra real estate agents, ventured a few house subdivisions at Dicky Beach.
During World War II Dicky Beach was occupied by barbed wire defences and army camps, but in 1947 Henzells resumed subdivision sales. The Church of Christ started its Camp Cal (oundra) activities on a site in Tinbeeruah Street. In about 1950 the North Caloundra Surf Life-Saving Club was formed, taking over the patrol of Dicky Beach from the Metropolitan SLSC which had looked after Dicky and Kings Beaches since the 1920s.
Dicky Beach has two retirement villages, a family holiday park and a foreshore reserve adjoining the beach.
Dicky Beach's census populations have been:
At the 2011 census the median age of residents was 48, above the median for Australia at 37.