Frenchville, a residential suburb of North Rockhampton, is three km north-east of the city centre. It was named in about 1925 after Frenchman's Creek, a minor stream running from Mount Archer to the Fitzroy River. The creek's name came about from a French botanist' Anthelme Thozet, who established a pioneering garden of tropical plants in the 1860s.
Frenchman's Creek primary school was opened in 1900 in farmland well out from Rockhampton North. Until recently it remained thus, awaiting the spread of suburbia from the south of the suburb. When still only sparsely settled, Frenchville was chosen for the site of Rockhampton's second State high school (1956), on the suburb's southern border, adjacent to Rockhampton north. During the 1970s Frenchville was the popular new brick suburb, with middle-level price range low set houses. A large park was laid out north of the high school, with space for the North Rockhampton Bowls Club, a swimming pool and a velodrome. Local shops were opened in adjacent Dean Street.
In the early 2000s about a quarter of Frenchville, in the north-west toward Mount Archer, remained un-urbanised.
The census population in 2006 was 8927.