Gulliver, a residential suburb, is five km south-west of central Townsville. It was named after one or other of the Gulliver brothers, nursery owners, who had horticultural businesses in Mundginburra and Hyde Park.
Gulliver has an unusual street design comprising crescents crossed by radial streets, reminiscent of a pre-war garden-city layout. The suburb is, however, mainly postwar with primary and secondary schools opened in 1954 and 1959 (neither is named Gulliver, but are Currajong and Pimlico respectively, the names of adjoining suburbs). There is also a TAFE housed in the original Townsville High School building. The Catholic primary (1961) was discontinued when western suburbs schooling was consolidated at the Marian school in Currajong.
Gulliver's housing is a mixture of high and low set designs, and its census populations have been: