Joyner, a partly developed residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is 22 km north-west of central Brisbane.
In 1845 William Joyner acquired the Samsonvale pastoral station on the south side of the North Pine River. He died soon afterwards and in 1852 his widow, Isabella, married John Griffin, the owner of the adjoining Whiteside property. Farms were sub-divided from the joint properties, but a home block was retained and stayed in the Joyner family until the late 1940s. Their Samsonvale homestead was a notable residence and the name was given to the nearby hamlet. The hamlet's centre was the Mount Samson school (1880) and the Samsonvale cemetery, now on the shoreline of Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam).
It was the construction of the dam in the early 1970s that separated the Joyner area from Samsonvale; much of the best farm land (dairying) was inundated. Joyner might also have been regarded as west Lawnton, but creation of a separate suburb was chosen.
Before then, part of Joyner, where Samsonvale Road crosses One Mile Creek, was an Area Headquarters camp during World War II. It was one of several comprising Camp Strathpine.
Joyner's housing growth began in the 1990s, and by 2005 less than half was built-up. Linear parks were established along One Mile Creek, and reserves provided on the edge of Lake Samsonvale. The dam supplies Brisbane, Redcliffe, Caboolture and Pine Rivers.
The census population of Joyner in 2006 was 1057.