Kenmore Hills, a rural/residential and residential suburb, is 11 km south-west of central Brisbane. It was originally part of Kenmore and Brookfield and was gazetted as a suburb in 1969.
Situated on the foothills of Mount Coot-tha, Kenmore Hills was a timber-cutting area in the 1860s. It was named after Kenmore (for awhile the administrative centre of Moggill Shire), which was named after an 1880s farm property, Kenmore Park.
Kenmore Hills is bounded on the west and south by Gap Creek and Moggill Creek, streams that were used for rafting timber down to Kenmore. Elsewhere there were family farms, whose children could attend Brookfield or Kenmore primary schools, both on Brookfield Road.
At a high point near Brookfield Road, Carver Hill, a boys' home (St Christopher Lodge) was opened in 1933. In 1959 the Iona retirement village was opened nearby by the Presbyterian Church. Both institutions were in open-air rural settings, similar to the Kenmore Sanitorium a few kilometres away.
Urban facilities arrived in Kenmore, near the boundary with Kenmore Hills, with Kenmore Christian College (1964), Kenmore High school (1972) and Kenmore village shopping centre (1969).
Most of Kenmore Hills is rural/residential, the more developed part lying south of Brookfield Road. There are linear parks along Gap and Moggill Creeks. Kenmore Hills' census populations have been: