Wavell Heights, a residential suburb, is 10 km north of central Brisbane. Originally known as West Nundah, Wavell Heights is west of Sandgate Road and extends southwards from Downfall Creek to Kedron Brook.
Part of Wavell Heights adjoining Sandgate Road is less than one kilometre from the Nundah railway station. It was subdivided for housing in the mid-1920s and by the outbreak of the World War II was nearly completely built up. In 1992 a housing character study showed that less than 10% of the residences had fallen to multiple dwelling development. Known as West Nundah, letter deliveries apparently became confused, and in 1941 the local progress association agitated for a new name. The choices offered were Inala and Wavell Heights, the latter succeeding in the wartime environment, honouring Field Marshall Lord Wavell, leader of the Allied Forces.
The rest of West Nundah was farming, mostly pineapple growing and dairying. Shops were opened along Rode Road and a Neighbourhood Society was formed in 1948. It concentrated on a site donated by the Council at the corner of Edinburgh Castle Road and Fourteenth Avenue, installing an ex-army hut for a local hall. Ultimately a memorial hall, kindergarten, bowling greens and Scout and Guide facilities were built there. War Service and Housing Commission homes were built, along with private sector estates. New schools were opened:
|Primary school||1948||998 in 1963|
|Catholic primary school||1950||800 in 1960s|
|State high school||1959||1507 in 1964|
The high school was one of Queensland's biggest.
Recreation areas were laid out on the Kedron Brook swamp lands, but similar proposals along Downfall Creek did not eventuate; there is a linear park at the back of more recent housing estates near the creek. Residents have neighbourhood shops, and regional shopping is at Chermside and Toombul, each equidistant from Wavell Heights.
The census populations of Wavell Heights have been:
Wavell Heights Character Housing Study, 1992