Thorneside, a residential suburb in Redland City, is 17 km east of central Brisbane. Its northern and western boundaries are Moreton Bay and Tingalpa Creek respectively. It was named after an early settler, William Thorne, who subdivided his land for small farm and seaside blocks in 1913.

Thorneside is on the Cleveland railway line (1889), but the development and subdivisional activity promoted by the railway line was mainly around Ormiston and Cleveland. The rest of Redland Shire was a productive farm area supplying fruit and vegetables to Brisbane.

Thorneside, a residential suburb in Redland City, is 17 km east of central Brisbane. Its northern and western boundaries are Moreton Bay and Tingalpa Creek respectively. It was named after an early settler, William Thorne, who subdivided his land for small farm and seaside blocks in 1913.

Thorneside is on the Cleveland railway line (1889), but the development and subdivisional activity promoted by the railway line was mainly around Ormiston and Cleveland. The rest of Redland Shire was a productive farm area supplying fruit and vegetables to Brisbane.

Urban Thorneside is a suburb of the 1920s-80s. Before then the population of Redland Shire was considered to be insufficient to keep the railway running, and it was closed back to Lota during 1960-87. Thorneside's population in the year the railway re-opened was nearly 2200.

There is a large sportsground (William Taylor Memorial Reserve) with a community hall in the middle of the suburb, and local shops in Thorneside Road near the railway line. West of Thorneside Road there is a large wetland near the mouth of Tingalpa Creek.

Thorneside's census populations have been:

Census Date
Population
1921
63
1954
460
1961
664
1986
2278
2001
3358
2006
3466
2011
3548