Trebonne is a rural village in the Herbert River valley, 10 km north-west of Ingham. The locality reaches about 20 km up the valley, more than half way to Abergowrie (see separate entry). The village was named after Trebonne Creek which was probably named by a (Mauritian?) sugar planter, Leon Burguez, possibly as early as the 1870s when the first plantations were established in the Lower Herbert Valley.

A primary school was opened in Trebonne in 1906. It continued in 2013 with an enrolment of 21.

Cane growing completely dominated agriculture in Trebonne, and the post office directory in 1949 recorded about 45 cane farmers. Many had Italian family names. There were also three stores, the Trebonne Hotel (two-storey 'Queenslander') a butcher and a builder. The Italian and Catholic influences appear to have brought about the opening of the Canossa P-7 school in Trebonne in 1951.

Trebonne is on the road to the wet-tropics Girringun National Park and the Wallaman Falls, Australia's highest single-drop waterfall. Passers-by can call at Trebonne's hotel and general store.

Trebonne's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation
192163
1954329
1986330
2006509
2011773
Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo