Upper Kedron, a developing residential suburb, is 12 km north-west of central Brisbane. It lies along Cedar Creek, a tributary of Kedron Brook, which was named by German Moravian missionaries who settled downstream at Nundah 1838. (Kedron is a valley and river frequently mentioned in Biblical accounts.)
The hilly, timbered country along the Cedar Creek catchment was settled for timber-cutting and small farms. A provisional school was opened in 1875 to serve both Upper Kedron and Ferny Grove, going by that name until 1940 when Ferny Grove was the better recognised place; it had a railway station (1918) and village facilities on Samford Road.
Urbanisation in the district began on the north side of Kedron Brook in Ferny Hills, Pine Rivers Shire, in the early 1960s, delaying Ferny Grove's urbanisation until the 1970s-90s. Upper Kedron's followed, functioning as an outlying suburb to Ferny Grove. There are a public hall, a recreation reserve and an historic cemetery. Upper Kedron extends further south to the State Forest around the Enoggera Reservoir. In 2004 its last dairy farm (32 ha) shut its gates. Its census populations have been:
M.C McGregor, Upper Kedron days, Ferny Grove days 1875-1975, Brisbane, 1975