West Rockhampton, separated from central Rockhampton by two inner suburbs, is a relatively outlying area with the airport on its western boundary and the Athelstane Range to the south.
The southern outskirts of West Rockhampton is defined by several lagoons, a former watercourse. The largest, Murray Lagoon, was used when a site was chosen in 1869 for the Rockhampton Botanic Garden. At first the lagoon was the more popular venue, being used for bathing and diving. As the gardens were developed they also became a popular resort.
A kilometre or so to the north-west the Rockhampton Jockey club had a racecourse (1868-98). Although sparsely settled, there were two hotels - Racecourse and Sportsmans Arms - and the Crescent Lagoon primary school (1896).
The Racecourse reverted to open space, known as Connors Park, which was used by the Rockhampton Aero Club. After considerable dithering by State and municipal bodies, the club pushed through a decision to use Connors Park for a much-needed aerodrome. Upgraded during the World War II, Rockhampton Airport has had frequent improvements, including a runway extension in 2000.
Rockhampton Golf Course lies between the airport and the botanic garden, and there are also rugby, tennis and bowls facilities. The botanic garden, with many mature trees and plants, is heritage-listed.
In January 2011 the great flood encirclement of Rockhampton was most evident when viewed from the airport at West Rockhampton. Northwards, the Fitzroy River was flooded as far as the horizon; westwards, water stretched equally as far and southwards the first dry land to be found was at Gracemere.
In addition to covering the airport and some of the runways, water washed over West Rockhampton to Western Street. The south part of the Rockhampton golf course was indistinguishable from its neighbour, the Murray Lagoon.
West Rockhampton's census population in 2006 was 1457.