Wulkuraka is an outer western suburb of Ipswich, three km from the city's centre. It is bounded on the east and north sides by the Bremer River and Ironpot Creek. The river is crossed by the railway from Ipswich to Toowoomba, and the Brisbane Valley railway (1884-1989) branched north from Wulkuraka.
The local railway station was known as Brisbane Valley Junction until 1905, when the Railways Department renamed it Wulkuraka. It is thought that the name derived from an Aboriginal expression describing flowering gums or kookaburras.
In 1902 the railway bridge over the Bremer River was rebuilt. It is a rare surviving example of Pratt truss bridges and is listed on the Queensland heritage register.
Wulkuraka has reserves bordering Ironpot Creek, including Ipswich Grammar sports ovals, residential areas in the vicinity of the railway station and an industrial area in its south.
The wetland between the Bremer River and the railway station overflowed in January 2011, flooding properties in Comona Court and Prima Rosa Drive.
Wulkuraka's census populations have been: